- This event has passed.
Beard & Mustache Contest
April 27 @ 8:00 pm - 9:00 pm
Whiskers are amazing, and if you’ve got glorious whiskers of any sort, this is the place to show them off! Judges will be choosing winners in the categories of:
- Best Mustache
- Best Mustache/Beard Combination
- Best Themed Whiskers
Anything goes in terms of creativity and decoration! This will not be a grooming competition—instead, contestants should have their mustache/beard pre-groomed and ready for admiration.
Any Gentleman is welcome to participate in the contest, whether associated with an airship or not. HOWEVER, if you are not part of an airship, one of the competing airships may try and convince you to join afterwards, and therefore earn your points. This year only one set of points will be available per competition. If the winners are not part of an airship or not convinced to join one, the points go unawarded to any airship. Airships will have until 3:30pm on Sunday at the convention to claim an unaffiliated winner. The winner must announce his decision to join an airship, in person, to the Games’ MC (Peter B. Slayer) before that time.
- Contestants must have real and attached mustaches/beards for the contest. Fake mustaches/beards will not be allowed, even if crafted from natural hair.
- Contestants may participate in more than one category (Best Mustache and Best Themed Whiskers, for example). Judging is separate for each category.
- To partake in the Themed contest, your whiskers must be related to 30 years of steampunk in some form (ie 80’s inspired).
- Mustaches/beards should be pre-groomed before the contest.
- Embellishment are accepted and encouraged in any category. Creativity is very much encouraged and one may use anything to decorate or sculpt their whiskers.
- Any type of grooming aid is permissible. This includes curling irons, pomades, oils, and waxes.
- Contestants should prepare a short introduction for themselves.
- Contestants must be willing to be photographed during and after the event by a Symposium photographer.
Victory Points for the Contest:
- Best Mustache = 20 Points
- Best Mustache/Beard Combination = 20 Points
- Best Themed Whiskers = 20 Points
To register for any of the Steampunk Olympiad Games, visit the NAMI table in front of the Arena. All registration fees for contests go directly to NAMI as part of the Symposium’s charity fundraiser. Click HERE to learn more about NAMI.